Sports Update

Y1 Soccer.png

First Year Soccer:

Well done to the first year boys soccer team who had an excellent victory over Ballincollig Community School. The team started very brightly with early goals from Jamie O’ Sullivan(2) and Conor Dineen. KCS continued to control the game and added to their lead with goals from David Healy and Evan O’ Dowd.

Today showed the depth in the squad as all members played a major part throughout the game. The final goal of the game came from Jamie O’ Regan who received the ball in his own half and ran the length of the pitch to score an excellent solo goal.

The team now face Midleton CBS in the next round.

Junior Ladies GAA2.jpg

Junior Ladies GAA:

First Year Girls Football Blitz 3/4/2019

Our enthusiastic first year girls took off Wednesday morning to Ballincollig GAA grounds to take part in their first Gaelic football blitz in the Kinsale C.S colours.

Kinsale entered two teams, Kinsale C.S Blue and Kinsale C.S Black in the blitz playing a number of matches throughout the course of the day against neighbouring schools. The harsh weather conditions did not hamper the girl’s spirits as they battled against Coachford, Coláistean Chraoibhín, Fermoy (eventual winners), St Mary’s Midletonand ColáisteChoilm. Both teams reached the semi final stages and were unlucky to lose out on places in the finals, by a point (Kinsale C.S Blue) and a goal (Kinsale C.S Black) respectively. The girls will continue to train hard, and are optimistic for the next blitz. Well done to all involved.  

Junior Ladies GAA2.jpg

Senior Hurling:

On Thursday last, March 28th, the KCS under 18 hurlers competed in the Lord Mayors cup blitz at Mayfield GAA grounds. KCS were placed in a group with Coláiste Choilm (Ballincollig) and Pobalscoil na Tríonóide (Youghal). The lads began their campaign against Pobalscoil na Tríonóide and got off to a bright start scoring some good early points through DJ Twomey and Keith Webb. However, the concession of a penalty before the break left the score 1-07 to 1-02 at half time in Kinsale’s favour. Similar to the first half, KCS started strongly again and pressed home their dominance when Darragh Kidney scored their second goal. Despite KCS being well in the ascendancy at this stage Pobalscoil na Tríonóide worked their way back into the game with a well taken goal setting up a nervy finish. Kinsale finished with a flurry however and a well taken Eoin O’Donovan point followed by a Twomey goal with the last puc of the game gave KCS a deserved victory on a scoreline of 3-08 to 2-04.

This result meant that the next game against Coláiste Choilm was effectively a semi final as the winners would top the group and progress to the final which was to be played at a later date. The game started evenly with both sides exchanging well taken points with Twomey again the main scorer for KCS both from play and placed balls. However, Coláiste Choilm struck a purple patch towards the end of the half where they hit three quick fire goals leaving KCS with a lot of work to do in the second half. However, the lads battled hard and never gave up with stellar performances in the back line from Keith Webb, Pádraig Dorney and Charlie Grainger managing to keep Coláiste Choilm at bay for most of the second half and Twomey and Kidney keeping the scoreboard ticking over at the other end. KCS actually ended up outscoring their rivals over the course of the game but another goal from a penalty deep into injury time cemented the result with Coláiste Choilm progressing to the final on a scoreline of 5-07 to 0-13. Despite this, the day proved to hugely beneficial for these lads who showed immense ability and promise. There is no doubt that this tournament will stand to them as excellent preparation as they move onto playing Senior Colleges hurling for the school next year.

Senior Hurling.jpg

Junior Ladies Football Match

Well done to our Junior ladies who gave a gallant performance, led by our captain Rose-Mary Buckley. Kinsale played a very strong Coachford opposition on a windy Kinsale pitch, last Monday the 2nd of April. Kinsale began the game brighter than Coachford with excellent passages of play resulting in well worked scores. Unfortunately this was not to last and Coachford began to pull away at the end of the first half.  This was to continue throughout the course of the second half, with their experience shining through. Kinsale continued battling to chip away at the deficit, but Coachford did not ease and were victorious in the end.

Jason Abbott